Lawsuit: 52 Rapes by 30 or More Football Players at Baylor

A former student at Baylor University, who claims she was raped by a pair of players on the football team, filed a lawsuit on Friday against the university that alleged there had been dozens more assaults on women that involved other football players.

The student’s lawsuit has her listed as Elizabeth Doe and alleged that a minimum of 52 rapes had occurred involving 30 players from the football team during a span of four years.

The suit also alleged that there was a culture of sexual violence. It described her attack in 2013 by two players. It does not detail any other alleged sexual attack, but says some had been recorded by players, who then would share them with their friends.

Over 50 assaults would increase the reports dramatically of 16 physical and sexual attacks that involved 19 players dating back to 2011 that Baylor officials has previously acknowledged.

The school is facing five lawsuits by women who have alleged they had been attacked and the school failed in protecting them or had ignored the complaints they made.

The largest Baptist university in the country has found itself in the continuing scandal that led to Art Briles the former head coach of the football team being fired and Ken Starr the President of the school departing in 2016.

The school’s internal investigations in 2016 found the football program has operated as if it had been above the law and that its assistant coaches and other staff had interfered or had stifled the investigations alleged crimes by the players.

The school allowed the coaching assistants from Briles’ staff to remain coaching for the 2016 season. However, Matt Rhule the new coach did not retain them for next season.

Some moved to other jobs, including Kendal Briles the son of the former head coach, who is now with Florida Atlantic.

In a prepared statement, the President of Baylor David Garland said the school has made strong progress in fortifying measures of security since the scandal over the alleged sexual assaults had blown up last year.

In the Friday lawsuit, the women alleged being raped in 2013 by a pair of football players. The attack had been reported to police in Waco but no charges have been ever filed and both players remained on the team.

The lawsuit claims that officials at the school did not investigate the case she brought until 2015 when a player who was involved was suspended by the team and expelled.

Latest News

Leave a Reply